Monday, May 13, 2013

Motivation: Carpe Diem

Miles: 22:10
Total: 145

First (almost) full week in awhile!  I had to drop my long run a bit (12 -> 10) because my knee started acting up.  It was terribly windy...  But I had a partner again!  Sarah joined me for 8 of the miles on bike.

This week, I'd like to delve a little bit deeper into my motivation for this marathon.  Around the time I decided to run the marathon, I read an article (or wikipedia page, I can't remember) on Carpe Diem, and how it is often misunderstood.  It is frequently thought of as "Live as if there is no tomorrow", excusing activities that might increase that likelihood.  Thankfully (for Carpe Diem's sake, not for our sake), that has been replaced with YOLO.

However, as I understand it (and using a healthy amount of wiki), the full phrase is:

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Which roughly translates to:

Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future

In other words, the future is uncertain so seize the day.  Do all you can today to make your future better.  How does this relate to Marathon training?  I realized after reading that article that with a baby on the way and future job prospects, it is unlikely that I will have the flexibility, time, and energy to be able to give my all to marathon training.  So even if it might have been wiser from a training perspective to aim for a half considering my background (or lack thereof), I decided that I am healthy and that there is no better time than the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment