Saturday, March 2, 2013

First week!

Miles this week: 12
Total miles: 12
Best part: The Friday sauna
Worst part: I can't decide.  My calves, the altitude change in Houghton, or getting out on a Saturday morning in 13 degree whether.

Last week I had an epiphany.  I want to run a marathon.  If it wasn't for Sarah, I wouldn't have had the idea.  She wants to run a half, and she asked if I wanted to join her.  I decided instead that I wanted to go for a full. I'm not new to endurance sports.  I've trained and completed a sprint triathlon before, but this is going to be a stretch.  So whether I finish or drop to a half, this will be my record.

I'm following Hal Higdon's training program.  I borrowed his most recent marathon training book from the library, but you can find his programs online at halhigdon.com.  It's an 18 week program, and the marathon is July 26, so right now I'm filling in the gap in preparation for starting that program.  And it's been tough.

The truth is, I believed that the worst part of training would be feeling tired all the time.  I've actually had more energy now that I've started (though admittedly it is only the first week).  Apparently I have dinky calves though, because that has been my issue this week: walking correctly.  I got a tip from a friend that despite the pain, I should keep using stairs and walking as much as I can to keep them warm and loose and that has helped a little.  The sauna (yooper pronunciation: saa-oo-na) was amazing though!

And the Saturday long run... wow!  The cold wasn't as bad as I expected, but the hills of Houghton are killer...  Anyways, first week down!

No comments:

Post a Comment